Telling us about a bereavement

What you need to do when someone dies

If you need to let us know that someone has died, we’re here to provide support. You’ll find practical information here about what you need to do, things you may need to consider and documents that you might need to have to hand.

Once you let us know that someone has died, we’ll check what products they had. If you have already told Lloyds Bank, Halifax or Bank of Scotland, you don’t need to let us know. They will do this for you.

You can also find information on what to do in our bereavement support leaflet (PDF).

Please contact us if you would like this information in an alternative format such as braille, large print or audio.

Registering a death

You can find out what you need to do about registering a death on the Government’s Register a death page. You’ll also find information here on death certificates, wills and probate.

Once you’ve registered a death you’ll be given a death certificate and a certificate for burial or cremation. You may need a few copies of the death certificate as some organisations will want an original copy.

Letting us know

To let us know that someone has died, you can contact us:

By Phone

0345 601 4179 (local rate)

We are open 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. Calls may be recorded and monitored to help us improve our services.

If you have a hearing or speech impairment you can use the Next Generation Text (NGT) Service. More information on the NGT Service can be found at:

By Post

The Bereavement Team
PO Box 28015
15 Dalkeith Road
EH16 5WL

When you get in touch with us to let us know, there is some information that we will ask from you. Once you’ve let us know, we’ll update our systems and arrange for all marketing to stop.

Some of the information that we’ll ask you includes:

  • Your name and telephone number
  • The name of the person who has died and any policy number(s) they had. Don’t worry if you don’t have policy numbers to hand
  • If you don’t have any policy details to hand then we’ll ask for the date of birth and address of the person who has died
  • Your relationship to the person who has died
  • Who the next of kin is
  • If the person who has died had any accounts with Lloyds Bank, Halifax, Bank of Scotland, Clerical Medical or St Andrew’s Life. We are all part of Lloyds Banking Group. This means that, with your permission, we can share information to help close products and accounts as quickly as possible, without you contacting each of us separately.

We will also need to see an original copy of the death certificate or a copy certified by a solicitor before we can cancel any payments, premiums or contributions. You can post us a copy or you can hand the original copy to your local Lloyds Bank, Halifax or Bank of Scotland branch. Here, our colleagues can certify that they have seen an original and send us the photocopy directly. You will be able to take the original copy home with you.

Once we have seen the death certificate, we’ll let you or a personal representative know what the next steps are.

Help and support

Paying for the funeral

If you’re arranging the funeral, you’ll need to pay for this upfront. We may be able to help with this if no other arrangements have been made and you don’t have the money available. We have signed up to the Funeral Pledge, which means that we can advance up to £10,000 to a funeral director if there are delays in closing accounts while waiting for probate.

Paying for urgent expenses

You may need money to pay for other urgent expenses such as Inheritance Tax (IHT). You can complete an IHT423 form, which is available on the Government’s website, and post this to us. We may also need other information such as a copy of the will – we’ll let you know what else we need. We can then settle any expenses directly with HMRC.

Handling the estate

If you want help to deal with the estate, our Estates Administration Services Team are available and may be able to make things a little easier. We can introduce you to our colleagues at Lloyds Bank, who can help deal with the processes and paperwork. Whether you simply want help with applying for probate or would like the whole estate administered for you, our team are on hand to deal with this efficiently for you. There is a fee for the service, which the team will explain to you when you contact them. Find out more.

Dealing with tax

When someone dies, there may be tax to pay or their estate might be owed some tax back. We can issue a tax deduction certificate if you need this – you can contact us to find out more.

Tell Us Once service

When someone dies, there are a number of government departments you’ll need to get in touch with. The Government’s Tell Us Once service lets you contact several departments in one go.

When you register a death, the registrar will let you know if this service is available in your area. It isn’t available in Northern Ireland or if the person died abroad. The registrar will give you the number to call and a unique reference number, which you can use online or provide to the call handler when you call.



What you might need when you call

  • Full name, date of birth and address of the person who has died
  • Your address, daytime contact number and email address
  • The plan and/or policy number – you will find this in the policy documents, but don’t worry if you don’t have this.

What we’ll need to close products or accounts

  • A copy of the death certificate – this can be provided through a Lloyds Bank, Halifax or Bank of Scotland branch or sent to us. We will need either an original copy or one certified by a Lloyds Bank, Halifax or Bank of Scotland colleague or a solicitor
  • If the person who has died has left a will, we may ask you to provide a copy of this
  • We may need to contact the coroner or doctor for medical information in some circumstances
  • We may need a grant of probate, letters of administration (England and Wales) or confirmation (Scotland). These are court appointed documents which show the person who has the legal right to deal with the estate of the person who has died. We will let you know if we need this when we first speak with you.

Organisations you may need to contact

If you don’t use the Government’s Tell Us Once service, you may need to contact each department yourself. You can find details of who to contact and how on the Government’s website.

Some of the organisations you may need to contact include:

There may be a number of other organisations you need to get in touch with. You can find a list at

Useful links

Jargon buster

The term used for the formalities of dealing with the estate.

The person who is appointed to distribute the estate if someone dies without leaving a will or without appointing an executor. If an appointed executor is unable or unwilling to act, an administrator will also be appointed.

The person or organisation who benefits from a will or under intestacy (Intestate / Intestacy is when someone dies without leaving a valid will in place).

A separate document altering or adding to the provisions of an existing will.

In some cases a death has to be investigated by a coroner. In this case a coroner’s certificate will be provided until the death certificate has been issued.

This might be a medical document issued by a qualified doctor, certifying the death of a person and stating the cause if known. More commonly, this is a legal document you get from a registrar, confirming the date, location and cause of a person's death.

Everything owned or owed by the person who has died.

The person, institution or professional named in a will to carry out the instructions and wishes contained in the will.

The official document that allows executors or administrators to close accounts, collect the assets of an estate and pay them out to the beneficiaries. In Scotland, the Grant of Representation is called a ‘Confirmation’. If a will is left, the Grant of Representation will be a Grant of Probate issued to the executors named in the will. If there is no will, it will be a Letters of Administration.

An official document confirming that the will is valid and stating who the personal representative is. It is granted to the executors so that they have the legal right to administer the estate. It can be used to show the personal representative(s) has the right to access funds, sort out finances, collect and share out the deceased person’s assets as set out in the will.

A tax on the estate that generally applies when someone dies and when the value of the estate is above a specific threshold. It is paid before the estate can be distributed to the beneficiaries. You can find out more about IHT on the Government’s website.

Intestate / Intestacy is when someone dies without leaving a valid will in place.

An official document stating who is entitled to deal with the estate if the executor can’t or won’t act, or if there is no valid will.

The general term for an executor or administrator.

The organisation responsible for overseeing probate and issuing Grants of Representation.

a way of managing assets (money, investments, land or buildings) for people. There are different types of trusts and they are taxed differently. Trusts involve:

  • the ‘settlor’ – the person who puts assets into a trust
  • the ‘trustee’ – the person who manages the trust
  • the ‘beneficiary’ – the person who benefits from the trust.

A legal document which indicates who should benefit from the estate and how. It appoints an executor to distribute the estate.