- Life Insurance
- Life Cover
Protection for Life: Life Cover
How to claim - Life Cover
We want to make the claims process as simple as we possibly can for you. When you are ready, please call us on one of the numbers below for the type of claim you wish to make.
- Death of a loved one - call us on 0345 601 4179 from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 12.30pm on Saturday.
Please have the following information to hand:
- The policy number - you will find this within the policy documents if you have them
- The name of the person who has died and the cause of death
- For any other claim listed below, please call us on 0345 601 4839 from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
Please tell us your policy number and some details of your illness or condition.
- Terminal illness
- Premium Protection (also known as waiver of premium)
We may record and monitor calls to help us improve our service. All medical information will remain confidential.
What will happen next?
- Death of a loved one - once the claim has been registered, we will need to see the death certificate. We may also contact the deceased’s doctor for some medical information.
- For any other claim - we will contact your GP/hospital consultant to request the medical information we will need to process your claim.
We will keep you up to date throughout the process but in the meantime please continue to pay your premiums until we have agreed to pay your claim.
Life policies will end after we have paid a claim. If there are other policies in your plan you should review your remaining cover to make sure it still meets your protection needs.
A second opinion from Best Doctors – for policies taken out after 28 June 2010
Best Doctors® is an independent service which gives you additional advice and information if you or your immediate family is diagnosed with a serious medical condition. It gives you the opportunity to seek a second opinion from a top medical expert at a time when you need answers most.
Access to the Best Doctors service is automatically included with all Scottish Widows Protection for Life policies taken out after 28 June 2010, at no additional cost.
Call Best Doctors free on their 24 hour helpline on 0800 085 6605 or visit Best Doctors for more information.